Friday 8 January 2010

Investigating new vegetables

At the risk of turning into a Julia Powell here I am talking about food again. And it is going to sound strange to many but  I'd never eaten kolhrabi or knol khol or ganth gohbi as its known here. My sabzi walla had it in abundance  recently so I had to try it out.  I'm told it is a cabbage like vegetable, a member of the Brassica family, but for my part it tastes a bit like white turnip, slightly sweet when boiled and it adds a nice flavour to tomato soups. This one was made with kohlrabi and 3 different types of green beans and was delicious.

I've also had a variation on a Thai type curry with it and coconut milk which I found in a supermarket in Vizag at the weekend. Heat a piece of cinnamon bark in oil, add oinions, fry untill soft with chillies, garlic, ginger to your taste, add coconut milk. I para boiled the kolhrabi first and then added it for the final cooking to the coocunt sauce.  No pictures of that one, but it was so good that the hunt is back on for coconut milk in Rayagada.

No comments:

Post a Comment