Tuesday 27 September 2011

Sweet dreams are made of this

A colleague of mine brought some blossoms into the office from his garden. Beautiful fragrant passion flowers. Their smell filled the room all day. Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera with me and anyways for now cameras cannot capture aromas!

The flowers gave rise to a discussion about flower names in English and Oriya. Passion flowers, Passiflora  caerulea, is known as  “rada tamara”.

The flowers one sees at weddings are “rajanigandha”, Polianthus tuberosas, trying to find the common English name for this I found this great website about the flowers of India. Also I loved the comments on this  essential oils website  - “its fragrance can enhance the fantasy factor and give yield wonderful bedtime!” Bon rĂªve tout le monde!

So for any aspiring botanists coming to India please consult www.flowersofindia.com

7 comments:

  1. Flower names is something I have never been able to keep in mind though I studied Horticulture (did not major in it) at the undergraduate level. Though I know a few. thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana,
    I studied Botany but I can never remember names either except for the flowers I have in my garden.
    Glad to pass a useful url onto someone who will appreciate it
    I love your take on Haiku on your site by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Sheila. I collect old botanical prints and have a lovely time researching everything about them. Getting their Indian names is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy bedtimes to you,Sheila. These flowers look exotic and fragrant.
    We had a lovely bookgroup last night discussing Silas Marner. I believe we are doing Michael Frayne's Headlong next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be of assistance Jyotsna. Some of those old prints must be fascinating, all hand drawn and the detail!

    Anna, oh they do smell lovely. I may be in attendance for November so let me know what you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tube roses..wow..i hv it in my garden...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely aren't they? Nice to have the climate to grow them in. Tx Anon for reading and commenting

    ReplyDelete